Friday, January 23, 2009

Linguine with Garlic Cream Sauce (Cook's Illustrated.com)

PREP: OK, if not worried about the garlic puree
TASTE: VERY good
REPEAT : Yes (although I might double the sauce if making for whole wheat pasta )

Yes, I forgot again, to make more sauce than suggested if I am using it with whole wheat pasta. It just always ends up dry otherwise. I didn't use heavy cream either, but fat free evaporated whole milk. I've found that I get good results with this substitute, and besides, it was what I had available. Tyler LOVED this and the stuffed chicken (with basil and sun dried tomatoes).

Garlic puree is just 4 heads of garlic poached in 1 cup of milk. Then, rinsed (save milk for this dish) and wrapped with EVOO in aluminum foil and roasted for 1 hour. Push out the garlic and smoosh together. :)

Bring 1 c milk, 1/2 c cream, 1/4 t red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 t fresh oregano (or 1/2 t dried) to boil, then simmer whisking frequently. Once reduced about half, add 1/4 c garlic puree. Whisk 2-3 minutes and then add 1/4 c. parmesan (I added more), salt and pepper to taste and then as thickened, pour over linguine. Add pasta water if needed to thin.

No comments: